Search this site or the web        powered by FreeFind
  Site search Web search



Boundary Waters named by USA Today as one of the Top Ten Places to Extend the Summer

This article has been provided in partnership with:

Boundary Waters

The Full Tour by Michael Teach

It was the hottest day on record for the town of Ely, Minnesota, and the local ''old-timers'' we spoke to agreed. June 19th saw the mercury reach up to the 100 degree plateau. Most of our day was spent on Wood Lake fishing until we couldn't take the heat any longer, so we headed for Ely to seek air conditioning and cool drinks.

My plan was to travel to Ely, stay at an outfitter's on Moose Lake, look at real estate for three days, and do a little fishing before embarking on a 12 day fly-in trip to the top of Quetico Provincial Park. I spent all three of those sweltering days fishing with my partner Bo and didn't look at one piece of real estate.

The day of departure had finally arrived. We stood on the dock at the outfitter's looking out over Moose Lake and waited with great anticipation for our flight north. Most of the launch boats had already made their first runs of the day, and it seemed like we were the last ones left to get going that day.

In the distance, we could hear the DeHaviland '' Beaver '' float plane rumbling over the tree line. The pilot made a smooth landing and pulled up to the dock. We loaded the plane, tied on the canoes, and departed for Canadian Customs on Crane Lake.

I allowed Bo, my partner, to ride ''shotgun'' since he had never flown before. I wanted him to have full exposure to what we were about to view. The labyrinth of lakes and streams below were breathtaking, to say the least. The float plane moved so slowly that Bo asked the pilot if we were even moving.

We splashed down at Crane Lake and, once at the dock, the pilot jumped out to converse with a customs official for a minute. They opened up the hatch, asked the usual border questions, and then we were on our way to Beaverhouse Lake, located in the northwest corner of the Quetico Park.

After unloading the float plane at the dock on Beaverhouse, we made our way back to the ranger's cabin for permits and fishing licenses. Due to some fires burning in the park at the time, the ranger inquired about our trip itinerary. Our route included Shelley Lake, which currently had a fire along it's perimeter. We were told to change our plans. I glanced over the maps and determined a likely detour around Shelley.

It was now time to start our canoeing adventure. This was Bo's maiden voyage and my tenth excursion. It wasn't long before we reached our first portage out of Beaverhouse into Quetico Lake. The portage was a short 24 rods and displayed a vintage, rusty vehicle located in the grassy meadow. I assumed it was left there from the logging days.

Paddling out of the channel into the expansive section of the lake, to the south of us on a thin stretch of sandy beach, we were surprised to see two Ojibwa Natives beating on a drum and chanting. I was awe struck by the spectacle, and I said to Bo, '' You're getting the full tour now. ''

The next portages came at Conk Lake, and both were easy coming into the lake and going out into Jean Lake. We paddled east on Jean a couple of miles to our island paradise located in the northeastern area of this beautiful lake. We spent two nights there and enjoyed some of the best smallmouth fishing we had ever experienced. Most of the ''bronzebacks'' were being caught on top-water using bull frog colored lures.

On the third day, we traveled through Budside Lake, Rouge Lake and Jean Creek to reach Sturgeon Lake. We paddled and fished all day until we reached a small island just off the Sturgeon Narrows where the channel connected with Russell Lake.

After camp was erected, we decided to do a little fishing for dinner. We managed to catch four walleyes in the 16 to 18 inch range, the perfect size for our frying pan. As we continued to fish, three canoes came out of Russell Lake. They stopped and asked '' Can you tell us where the closest campsite is located ? We were just run off of our last one by a bear ! '' I retrieved my maps from the tent and pointed out some sites across the narrows. They thanked me and paddled on.

Then Bo asked the infamous question, '' What do we do if a bear comes into our camp? ''. I explained to Bo, if we keep a clean camp and hang the food pack in a tree, we shouldn't have any problems.

Once we finished off a delicious walleye dinner, it was time to do some more fishing before the sun ended our day. Bo made his casts from the front of the island as I worked the backside facing up the channel to Russell Lake. About 10 minutes later, I saw a bear swimming down the channel. She had her snout up in the air and pointed in our direction. There was no doubt she had caught a whiff of walleye frying not so long ago. I yelled over to Bo and informed him of our oncoming intruder. We then proceeded to clean up camp as much as possible.

The next move was to head out onto the lake in the canoe and see if we could keep the bear from swimming over to the island. A few anxious minutes went by until we heard the snapping of limbs echoing from the timbers. The bear's keen sense of smell had lured her to a point adjacent to the island. Neither Bo nor I had ever been this close to a bear and we marveled at the site of this bruin.

As the bear moved out of sight to the other side of the island, we maneuvered the canoe around in an attempt to cut her off from our wilderness home. When we arrived at the other side, she was already swimming towards the island. I began yelling and banging the paddle on the canoe. Bo did the same. The bear turned back to the mainland. She then decided to go back towards the point out of our view. We proceeded around the island in the opposite direction, only to find the nuisance was missing. From out on the lake I spied the bear in our camp and watched her eyeing the hanging food pack. The bear climbed up and down the tree several different times, as my yells turned into screams.

While the bear was going through our campsite, I started to look for a distraction. We paddled over to shore and filled the canoe with some rocks. Once in range of our unexpected dinner guest, we started to fire. We threw rocks at the menace until she decided this wasn't worth the trouble. Bo jumped out of the canoe and cut the food pack down. I did not want to stay up all night keeping watch out for a bear, so we tore down camp in the following minutes. I didn't even disassemble the tent, just pulled the stakes and piled it upon all the gear already thrown into the canoe.

By this time it was pretty dark, and we needed to find another campsite. As I checked the map for a site, one was found on a point, not more than a mile away. With head-lamps on, we made our way towards our destination. I climbed out of the canoe to check it out but couldn't find anything that resembled a campsite. What I did find was a swarm of mosquitoes. So here we were back in the canoe, in the dark, gear all over, no place to stay, out on a lake, with '' skeeters'' buzzing all around our heads. As I looked over the map / swatter for another campsite, one was found out in the middle of the lake on Blueberry Island. We set course as fast as we could and hoped no one was camping there. I'm not sure how, but we did manage to find it in the dark, and fortunately it was unoccupied. Camp was set around midnight, and we breathed a sigh of relief.

The next day followed with some of the worst wind and thunderstorms I've ever experienced in Quetico. The storm seemed to blow in from nowhere. Lightning cracked and thunder echoed as the wind picked up speed. We had to kneel on the corners of the outside of the tent and hold on to the tarp to keep them from blowing away. The force of the wind just shook us as we tried to hold on. Then I heard the canoe lift up and blow down towards the lake. The storm had blown in so quickly, I had forgotten to tie it down. I sprung from under the tarp and chased it down. Luckily it had slammed into a large rock by shore and was stuck, or I would have had to swim for it. Unluckily for Bo, his rods were being held by this same rock and the canoe snapped off a tip from one rod and the reel handle of the other.

With the canoe in hand, I fought the wind back up to the tent and tied it down. As quickly as the storm had come, it had passed and we crawled out from under the tarp. It was mere minutes later however, that the wind shifted and the same storm came back and hit us from the opposite direction. Back under the tarp we went, kneeling on the tent and holding on again. This time around there was no damage.

Sturgeon Lake had provided us with enough adventure, so we moved on towards Kawnipi Lake on day five. On the portage to Chatterton Lake from Russell, we ran into a couple of park rangers. We were informed the fire had subsided on Shelley Lake's perimeter and this route was now safe for travel.

We continued on our journey past Chatterton Lake, portaged by Split Rock Falls, and were now on Keats Lake. I knew we had to portage around another set of falls at the end of this lake on a portage called '' Have a Smoke ''. I viewed some falls straight ahead, paddled over to them and portaged around to the other side. We quickly ran into another set of falls, a set of falls that weren't on my map. After an intense review of the maps, I determined there must have been two sets of falls on Keats, and we had portaged around the wrong one.

Instead of turning back, however, we pushed forward, by bushwhacking around the falls along an old animal trail. Once we were far enough from the falls, we loaded the canoe back up and waded in waist high water until we were out of the current.

On Shelley Lake the smoke from the smoldering fire was still drifting out of the woods. The rain storms from the previous day must have extinguished the fires. We could now see exposed rock, which had not been visible for many years. The trees were charred, but many remained in good shape.

A few portages later we were on Kawnipi, the last lake for the day. With no more portages ahead, we stroked our way down to McKenzie Bay and set up camp at a ''five-star site''. The next four days were spent relaxing and enjoying some top-water, bronzeback smallmouth action.

The smallmouth in McKenzie Bay are truly a deep brown, bronze color, unlike some other lakes that produce smallmouth with a green tint. Top-water lures were not the only lure producing good sized smallmouths. We also caught them on in-line spinners with a size 4 brass blade and white bucktail.

After the four day vacation on Kawnipi, it was time to make our move south. We traveled through Murdoch Lake to reach Agnes River. One of the worst portages in Quetico is on the Agnes River. The first half was not too terrible until we had to load the canoe and cross the river to the other side. This second half of the portage was bug infested, with puddles of water that transformed into mud holes. Some of the mud holes would suck us in up to our knees. After the mud holes, the rest of the portage was spent climbing over and crawling under dead trees.

Agnes Lake is a long 14 mile paddle, north to south. I was most impressed by the steep cliffs that were gouged out by glaciers thousands of years ago. About 11 miles down the lake we found a campsite in a little pinch between the cliffs.

After setting up camp, I did some fishing off the front of the site. Looking up across the lake to the top of the cliff, I saw smoke starting to roll over the edge. It must have been coming from the East Lake region. Bo and I were beginning to worry somewhat about our choice of campsites that evening. We kept a vigilant watch on the smoke during the rest of the night until we hesitantly went back to the tent.

When we awoke on day eleven, there was still smoke coming over a bluff across the lake. A quick breakfast and packing was in order. We made a stop at Louisa Falls to see the heralded water tub, three-quarters of the way up.

It was too early and too cold for a swim so we moved onto the dreaded ''Meadow'' portages. The ''Meadow'' portages are two, long, back-to-back portages leading out of Agnes Lake into Meadow Lake for a short jaunt across the water, and then into Sunday Lake. The first portage, the slightly shorter of the two, is extremely rocky. The second portage, around 180 rods, is just plain long.

Tired from the long portages, we were then faced with some heavy wind blowing out of the northwest on Sunday Lake. We tried to paddle the lake, but we were overtaken about two-thirds of the way across by wind and white caps and decided to pull over to wait it out. We sat idle for hours before it slowed enough for us to try again. It wasn't easy, but eventually we made it to the ''North'' portage.

The wind was still kicking up a fuss when we arrived at the other side of the ''North'' portage on Basswood Lake. Working the shoreline of Sunday Bay, we made it out towards the main section of Basswood. Continuing along the shoreline we reached a point jutting out into the lake that we just could not paddle around. The white caps kept slamming us backward onto the rocky shore.

There was a camp on this point occupied by some Boy Scouts, and we hoped they would not mind us portaging through their site. The Scoutmasters saw our dilemma and did not have a problem with our intrusion. I am not even sure if any of the scouts saw us as they were preoccupied with poking sticks at bear scat. Once on the other side of the point we surfed to our next camp near Inlet Bay of Basswood.

On night number eleven the temperature dropped down to 40 degrees. This seemed a bit chilly for early July. It was a 60 degree departure from the temperatures we experienced when first arriving in Ely.

Our trip with it's 100 degree temperatures, float plane ride, chanting natives, excellent smallmouth fishing, bear visits, winds and thunderstorms, bushwhacking, forest fires, white caps, drastic temperature changes, and paddling and portaging for twelve days in Quetico was all we had hoped it would be; and more. We did indeed get the Full Tour!


--article courtesy of

Hunters Island Humor on the Trail

Free Shipping & No Sales Tax on $40 or More!
Your Banner Could be Here